- FAQ Leaflet
- FAQ – from the Vegan Society UK
- A reasonable response to 60 questions vegans often hear from non-vegans
Q: Isn’t eating meat natural for humans?
- How humans are not physically created to eat meat
- Natural carnivores do not develop atherosclerosis (ie. hardening of the arteries)
- Are Humans Designed To Eat Meat? – talk by Milton Mills
- Humans are naturally plant-eaters
- Basic Anatomy Shows Humans are Herbivores, not Carnivores
- Cartoon illustrating the main points of the argument
Q: Do animals have feelings?
- What animals are thinking and feeling – by Carl Safina (video)
- Animals are conscious and should be treated as such
- Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness – full text
- Nonhuman Animals Are Conscious
Q: Don’t you need to eat meat to get protein?
- Protein for Vegans and Vegetarians
- 3 myths about protein
- The truth about protein
- Protein in the vegan diet
- Doctor shuts down the protein myth
- Doctor explains how animal protein promotes disease
Q: Don’t you need milk and dairy products for calcium?
No, you can obtain calcium from a variety of plant-based sources. Dairy industry advertisements suggest that drinking milk results in stronger bone density. However, studies have found no association between milk consumption and hip fracture risk, for example. “A review of 37 studies on dairy products and bone health published in the official journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics concluded that there is no solid evidence that the consumption of dairy products improves bone health in children and young adults (Lanou et al., 2005)”.
In another study, Walter Willett, MD, DrPH, a professor of nutrition and epidemiology at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, and his co-author, David Ludwig, MD, PhD, a professor of pediatrics and nutrition at Harvard, reviewed more than 100 studies related to dairy and found the evidence of its supposed health benefits to be surprisingly thin, starting with the very methodology by which U.S. dairy guidelines were determined. Read more here.
Q: How many vegans are there in the Republic of Ireland?
A Bord Bia report from 2021 gives a figure of 2% of the population.