- FAQ Leaflet
- FAQ – from the Vegan Society UK
- A reasonable response to 60 questions vegans often hear from non-vegans
Isn’t eating meat natural for humans?
- How humans are not physically created to eat meat
- Natural carnivores do not develop atherosclerosis (ie. hardening of the arteries)
- Are Humans Designed To Eat Meat? – talk by Milton Mills
- Humans are naturally plant-eaters
- Basic Anatomy Shows Humans are Herbivores, not Carnivores
- Cartoon illustrating the main points of the argument
Do animals have feelings?
- Scientists Declare: Animals are as aware as humans
- Animals are conscious and should be treated as such
- Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness
- Nonhuman Animals Are Conscious
Don’t you need to eat meat to get protein?
- Protein for Vegans and Vegetarians
- 3 myths about protein
- The truth about protein
- Protein in the vegan diet
Don’t you need milk and dairy products for calcium?
No, you can obtain calcium from a variety of plant-based sources. Dairy industry advertisements suggest that drinking milk results in stronger bone density. However, studies have found no association between milk consumption and hip fracture risk, for example. “A review of 37 studies on dairy products and bone health published in the official journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics concluded that there is no solid evidence that the consumption of dairy products improves bone health in children and young adults (Lanou et al., 2005)” – from ‘Boning Up on Calcium Factsheet‘ – by Viva! Health.
How many vegans are there in the Republic of Ireland?
A Bord Bia report from 2018 estimated that ‘Dietary Vegans’ represented 4.1% of the population.
What alternatives are available to farmers who want to switch from animal farming?
How can I tell if a product is vegan?
What is a Raw Vegan Diet?